Saturday, July 13, 2024

Medications and Medical Equipment in Iran’s Push for Domestic Production and Self-Sufficiency

Similar articles

The head of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Iran, Seyed Heidar Mohammadi, stated that 99% of the country’s medications are produced domestically, while the remaining 1% of imported drugs account for 13% of the total market value. Mohammadi highlighted that a significant portion of medications, including chemotherapy drugs, are now produced domestically, with many high-quality anti-cancer drugs being manufactured by local pharmaceutical companies.

He added that according to the 2023 statistics, only 1% of the required medications are imported, yet this 1% constitutes 13% of the total market value, indicating substantial costs for sourcing these drugs from abroad. This reliance on expensive imports for a small fraction of medications places a heavy financial burden on the healthcare system. The high cost of these imported drugs underscores the importance of boosting local production to reduce dependency on foreign sources and manage healthcare costs more effectively.

Mohammadi also noted that over 40% of medical equipment is produced domestically. He highlighted the production of CT scan machines, linear accelerators, respiratory ventilators, oxygen machines, and anesthesia equipment within the country. This marks a significant shift from a few years ago when all these tools and equipment were imported. The efforts to manufacture these essential medical devices locally have not only reduced costs but also ensured a more reliable supply of these critical tools.

Medications in Iran’s Strategy for Enhancing Self-Sufficiency Through Local Production

The focus on increasing the depth and quality of production for medical supplies and equipment is part of a broader strategy to enhance the self-sufficiency of the Iranian healthcare system. By investing in local production capabilities, Iran aims to ensure the availability of high-quality medical products while reducing the financial strain caused by importing expensive foreign goods.

Mohammadi emphasized the need for continued efforts to accelerate the pace of domestic production. This includes advancing the technology used in manufacturing medical equipment and improving the overall quality of these products to meet international standards. The goal is to not only meet domestic needs but also position Iran as a potential exporter of medical supplies and equipment.

The push for increased domestic production is driven by several factors, including economic sanctions that have limited Iran’s ability to import goods and the desire to build a more resilient healthcare system. By producing a larger share of its medical needs domestically, Iran can better withstand external pressures and ensure that its healthcare system remains robust and capable of meeting the needs of its population.

Medications

Boosting Local Production of Medications and Medical Equipment in Iran

In addition to economic benefits, increasing local production of medications and medical equipment has the potential to create jobs and foster innovation within the country. By supporting the growth of the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, Iran can stimulate economic development and improve healthcare outcomes for its citizens.

Mohammadi’s remarks underscore the progress made in recent years but also highlight the need for continued investment and effort to build on these achievements. The strategy involves not only expanding production capacity but also enhancing research and development to create new and innovative medical products. The focus on domestic production of medications and medical equipment represents a significant shift in Iran’s healthcare strategy.

You can follow our news on our Telegram and LinkedIn accounts.

By reducing dependency on imports and increasing self-sufficiency, Iran aims to create a more sustainable and resilient healthcare system. The efforts to boost local production have already yielded positive results, and continued investment in this area is essential for maintaining and expanding these gains. The emphasis on high-quality production and technological advancement will ensure that Iran’s healthcare system can meet the needs of its population and potentially contribute to global healthcare solutions through exports.

 

Resource: Mehr News Agency, June 30, 2024

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Latest article